Tuesday 1 September 2015

Rise and Shine! It’s MoFo time!

On week days I eat the same breakfast almost every day, I have microwave porridge made with soy milk and a banana, I don't even have a coffee until I get to work.

But I enjoy making a proper breakfast on the weekends and after a conversation with The Boy about how to correctly cook scrambled eggs, Hint; it is not in the microwave, I got a real craving for them. I like a tofu scramble as much as the next girl but it's a different and generally more flavourful experience.

I wanted that rich, eggy, slightly runny breakfast dish just like mum used to make and I didn't have firm tofu, just silken.But, that works for scramble in a pinch and I've been loving chickpea pancakes, which are beautifully eggy so a plan came together.

I mixed about a tablespoon of chickpea flour with about half a cup of soymilk, a couple of tablespoons of nutritional yeast and a generous pinch of black salt together in a jug while I broke up a packet of silken tofu into tiny pieces in a hot dry sauce pan. Then I poured my mixture over the top of the tofu and cooked it til then whole thing thicken up enough to look just like scrambled eggs.

I served it up with all the usual suspects, some tempeh bacon, mushrooms, beans, grilled tomatoes, a seitan sausage that was hanging around and some toast. It tasted like I remember scrambled eggs tasting, it got The Experts approval and The Boy told me he prefers proper scrambled 'fu or rubbery eggs. I'm not sure how to take that but I loved it.








It was so authentic it welded itself to the pan, just like when I used to scramble actual eggs. None of the cruelty but all the mess.


No comments:

Post a Comment