Tuesday 11 August 2015

Grown Up Grilled Cheese

I was one of those vegetarians, you know the ones; they could never give up cheese. But then I gave it up and I discovered I didn't miss the stuff in the slightest. Sometimes I want something salty or creamy but I'm pretty happy with what can be done with avocado, cashews and nooch. I don't miss cheese.

I also don't particularly like shop bought vegan cheese, most of it is a bit uninspiring and I'd rather make a sauce or some cashew ricotta. There are a couple of notable exceptions; I used to love Vbites bacon cheddar, that was magical and I would happily eat that stuff uncooked.

Then everyone starts talking about violife, it's great, it melts, you can buy it in Tesco and I'm a sucker for hype so off I toddle and get some. I'm a bit late to the party but I can totally see why it got people so excited; it's bloody good stuff. I've even had positive reviews from the two omnis I've been kind enough to share it with. I've been mostly consuming it in sandwiches; grilled ones.

So, tonight I caramelised some onions.



Then I got my "cheese" ready



And assembled my sandwich with the violife, some of my onions and some black olives and grilled the little beauty until it was toasty and the cheese was all melted. I ate it with some spicy potato salad because carbs. 



The boy was quite impressed overall and I even shared my onions with him.




No comments:

Post a Comment